How does Synology sync Outlook Calendar and Contact?
Recently, more and more of my friends have been discussing that if it is possiblle to synchronize Synology DSM server’s CalDAV service with Outlook? It seems like this type of NAS box/router is somehow popular in small- and medium-size companies where no IT crews are always around. Why? I guess it is because Google Calendar Sync service was terminated and these users have to find an alternative.
synology calendar sync outlook
Again, I took this issue to my developer friend in EVO software production because their EVO Collaborator for Outlook does the Outlook sync thing for living. After some sync tests, he managed to sync it. Here is what I am allowed to share with you guys if you like to do the same task.
Before we start, there are two points for your reference:
- For Synology instruction of setting up webdav, please refer to the following link:
- For CardDAV, it is by default not available in the current version of Synology DSM.
- For installing and configuring a third-party CardDAV solution for Synology DSM, please refer to the following link:
Steps to access Synology DSM server’s default CalDAV service with Outlook:
- Configure properly in Synology DSM server according to the instruction link shown previoiusly..
- Download EVO Collaborator for Outlook from EVO’s Official Site and Install it.
- Run Microsoft Outlook and open Configure Profile(s) at top left within Outlook.
- Choose a vacant profile starting with Profile 10 – not configured.
- To the top right, leave Hostname (CardDAV/CalDAV) or webcal:// URL blank.
- Fill in only Contact and Calendar URL.(URL syntaxes are explained below)
- Fill in Full e-mail address or Username and Password.
- Click TEST and Apply at the bottom.
- Exit the Configure Profile(s) and synchronization will take place in a few seconds.
How to obtain contact and calendar URL from Synology server (based on DSM 5.2 or above) ?
- For contact URL, the URL syntax goes as below: (default port is 8443)
- For calendar URL, the URL syntax goes as below: (default port is 5006)
Implementing a server backup strategy
One last thing and the most important task about running a server of any sort is the backup scheme that you use. A backup service that is specifically designed for Synology DSM server is hardly found. Using IDrive.com - Synology backup to IDrive cloud saves you a lot of time to customize yourself to gain cost-effectiveness, security and high performance. Yet, you can schedule automatic backup and restore tasks or do them manually. Notification on completion of scheduled backup operation informs you when the job is done along with log details.You can try it by first creating an IDrive account to get started.